Friday

Making Memories

We are currently in the process to refinance our house. If everything goes as planned we get to close on this little cottage in the burbs once again at the end of December. I think that after living in this house for three years there is so much more excitement and emotions in closing on this house again.

Part of the process of refinancing is having the house re-appraised. Yesterday the appraiser came to the house and walked around my home.. to put a price on my home. It took him less than an hour to survey the house. To him it was just a brick house in the burbs with kids running down the sidewalks. To him it looks like a two story cottage home that any family could enjoy. But to me this house is my home. Nate & I have made soo many memories in this house and it isn't just walls, cement, and brick to me.  If you know our story we bought this house as a foreclosure. Nate was deathly afraid of what we would have to put in to this house to get it to living style. You have to remember doors were missing, there was no floors upstairs, the stair well railing gone, all the lights gone. The pool was a swamp- we didn't even know how deep it was and the backyard a jungle.  I could see the bones of this house and imagine in my head what it could be. It is still transitioning but it is 120% better now than then. I had faith in this house that it could be a beautiful home and now it is.

We bought the house and immediately started renovating it. We poured our savings, sweat and blood into this house and in the process I fell in love with it. YES I AM IN LOVE WITH MY HOUSE.  But than Hurricane Ike came and destroyed it. I was so distraught by the damage- the $$ it was gonna take to repair it that I was willing to just walk away from the house. I am so glad that Nate & I sat it out. The house is the home I finally saw it could be. I am now nesting and putting all those finishing touches on the house now that the trauma of getting the mold, a new roof and walls redone.

But yesterday after the appraiser took an hour to look at my house and put a number on its worth, I started thinking there is no value you could put on my memories in this home and the memories to come.  Nate and I bonded thru projects in the yard, installing floors upstairs, and trips to Lowes. We learned that we could make it thru a hurricane and the rebuild. We got engaged while living in this house (technically we got engaged in Bahamas, but we owned the house) and than we got married in Hawaii to come home to this house.We have laughed at so many things togeather sitting in our kitchen, watched our dog run the edge of the pool in joy, and floated the pool in the summer with friends.  We have shared sadness, loss of family member and friend's childrens in this home. We have shared the loss of our own child in this home. We have been sick and well. This is the house we love, the house we have hated- but it is ours. This is the house I picture us living in when we have our first baby. This is the house I will always remember as our first house. It isn't perfect and if I could change things I would! Like I would love to magically move the master downstairs and make the laundry room larger. But I am in love with this home and the memories we have. 

The appraiser can put a number on our house, but it has no value on what has really happened in this house.  It is our home and I can't wait to close on it again!


No comments:

Post a Comment