Sunday

DIY Projects this weekend..

So this weekend I have been on a DIY decorating kick. I am trying to finish off all the rooms in the house. Our master, master bath, guest bath, 1/2 bath and kitchen are completed.  As you know I am lusting over burlap curtains from pottery barn.. I am DIYing them as we speak for our great room and if it weren't that our windows are single pane and non-insulated I would remove all the verticals now and just hang the burlap until we have the $$ for the bamboo roman shades. But it is winter in Houston and I can't afford a higher heating bill or cold air in the house.. so waiting! I will post once done!

Since we're getting rid off all tacky blinds in the house (master has bamboo roman, kitchen and guests have white wood blinds) I had to take them off the front door. I hated em. Every time the door open they swung and hit the door, we had to pull them up because Scout hates the UPS man and would flipout and pull them down.. so I was done with the blinds. Only problem hot houston sun and privacy! So during our daily walks with Scout I started observing other doors like ours.. many had curtains or blinds up except one house had textured glass. I began my hunt for film to texture the glass.. umm well it was 29 bucks a square and I have two doors.. not so much in the budget. I frosted the glass instead for a total cost of $12 bucks.. below are before and after pics.
 Before with blinds
After with frosted glass.. it allows light thru and privacy! Horray!

My next project started when my gf redid her kitchen. We both live in houses built in the 80's.. our kitchen had been gutted previously and has new cabinets, paint, granite and appliances.. Her's was getting the face lift too. Well she replaced all the outlet plates to a copper plated hammered finish because the switches are an off white (yellow to me) and couldn't match the plates. My house has the same dilemma and I just loved the look of the bronze and cooper against the walls. I had to have em. I went to Lowe's and Home Depot and for the whole house it would cost me well over 100 bucks. I began the hunt to DIY.. I bought two cans of Rust-o-luim in bronze hammered outdoor finish.. it sticks to plastic and weathers well. And the fumes began.. see below my  lovely project..

 Before with bright white switch plate and yellow switch..
 New lovely hammered finish bronze plates!
 

Than while in the garage getting tools for the switch plates I saw an old table Nate bought at Goodwill for me to use in my apartment downtown in 2005.. I was a single girl living alone with Bella in a 400sq ft loft apartment and so poor! I used it as a side table for two years and than it sat in the garage because the top was scratched and it seen better days. Our guest room is all whites and blacks. I purchased a beautiful zebra chair and I needed a side table. I love our current side table with the mirror finish but I couldn't afford another.. and the DIY started!
 Table Before almost ready to paint.. needed some love and new life..
 Getting painted Black High Gloss
 Guest room zebra chair looking sad with out a reading side table..
And look at that lovely table and zebra chair.. perfect addition if I do say so!!

No comments:

Post a Comment